Links of the Week 14.4.12
Yet more 50 Shades of Erotica E-readers this week in my links, plus some other stuff.
1. Did you see it? Did you? K D Grace was on the telly – Channel 5 News to be precise, discussing the correlation between the relative popularities of erotica and e-readers. There’s an account, plus the youtube, on her blog.
2. One of the least attractive things to come out of the 50 Shades furore is the constant use of the term ‘mommy porn’. Nikki Magennis puts her finger on exactly why I find this phrase offensive.
3. Inspired by the success of 50 Shades, Danuta Keane analyses the popularity of badly written books. Is it, as she posits, a reaction to the anxieties of changing times and mores? I’m not sure it is, but it’s a very interesting article.
4. The US Department of Justice has filed against six big-name publishers for alleged price-fixing of ebooks. It’s not the simplest issue to understand, but here’s a handy guide from Dear Author.
5. Rachel Kramer Bussel announces a fabulous offer – the chance to win a gift card worth $250 for the Four Seasons hotel chain. All you have to do is pre-order her forthcoming anthology Suite Encounters.